United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
In the month of January we hosted our Responsibly Different™ United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals mini podcast series! With a total of 19 episodes, 17 dedicated to each of the 17 goals with an introduction and reflection episode. We had over 40 guests on the show during for this series, some from old episodes and bringing in some new voices to the conversation.
The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs) are a universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity by 2030. As a certified B Corp, we see the importance of using business as a force for good in order to achieve these 17 goals and create a better world for future generations.
The 17 SDGs cover a wide range of issues including poverty, hunger, health, education, gender equality, clean water and sanitation, affordable and clean energy, decent work and economic growth, and many others. B Corps are unique in that they are businesses that balance purpose and profit, and are committed to using their business as a platform to create positive social and environmental impact. Even if your business is not a certified B Corp, we hope that the steps below are helpful in starting your journey with the SDGs.
Here are a few ways to leverage business as a force for good and contribute to the UN SDGs
- Embed the SDGs into your business strategy: You can align your business strategy with the SDGs and use them as a roadmap for their impact goals. This helps to ensure that their business activities contribute to the sustainable development of the world.
- Collaborate with other organizations: You can collaborate with other organizations, including non-profits and government agencies, to jointly work towards the SDGs. This allows for a sharing of resources and expertise, and helps to amplify impact.
- Advocate for policy change: You can use your voice to advocate for policy changes that support the achievement of the SDGs. This includes advocating for regulations and incentives that support sustainable business practices, and speaking out against policies that undermine progress towards the SDGs.
- Engage employees and customers: You can engage your employees and customers in their efforts to achieve the SDGs. This can include educating them about the goals, encouraging them to take action, and involving them in decision-making processes.
Ways to get involved
- Visit the UN’s SDG website. This is a great place to start to learn more about the goals and how you can get involved. And be sure to explore the SDG Action manager.
- Participate in local events: Look for local events that focus on the SDGs and attend them to learn more and connect with others who are working towards these goals.
- Join a local B Corp community: Find a local B Corp community and join them to connect with other businesses that are using business as a force for good and contributing to the SDGs.
- Take a listen to our podcast mini series all about the UN SDGs. In the player above you can listen on this page. Hover over the player and click the little up arrow in the lower right to see a list of icons for where you can find the podcast. Click on your podcast player of choice from that menu to subscribe wherever you get your podcasts.
The UN SDGs are an important roadmap for creating a better world for all. As a certified B Corp, we see the importance of leveraging business as a force for good to help achieve these goals. By embedding the SDGs into our business strategy, collaborating with others, advocating for policy change, and engaging employees and our partners, we can contribute to a more sustainable and equitable world for future generations.